It is not uncommon for the average vacationer to get sick, stain a piece of clothing or stay in a place that may be less clean than originally expected. If you are going on a longer vacation than the average 7 to 10 days you will begin to make the place you are staying kind of a second home. All of these vacation scenarios will require that you think ahead and pack some very necessary cleaning supplies. But just what should you pack to make your vacation life more comfortable?
According to a national survey conducted by the Soap and Detergent Association, America’s favorite vacations include: the beach(27%), sightseeing(18%), camping(17%),visiting family (15%),and theme parks (9%). People are most likely to stay in a hotel or motel, at a relative’s home, or at a camp site in a tent or RV. One more popular accommodation that has been growing in popularity, especially for longer vacations, is the vacation rental which is easily found on a vacation rental website.
So what type of cleaning products should we bring on a vacation?
First of all the American Cleaning Institute Advises you to remember the acronym for the word PACK:
P-portability is key;there are a number of cleaning products that are available in travel size now. You can also grab small empty bottles at the store and bring small quantities of cleaning solutions you already use in your home.
A-anticipate your needs; try to think about what your activity plans are and what a typical day on your long vacation could look like. What will you need to help you stay neat, organized, and of course clean?
C-clean the surfaces; whether an extended stay hotel countertop, eating surface at a camp site or in an RV, or a clean vacation rental, wipe down surfaces when you get there just to cover your bases and keep everyone healthy.
K-keep hands clean; the best way to prevent illness from slowing down your fun is by washing your hands frequently especially after using the restroom and before eating.
According to the afore mentioned survey:
56% of vacationing Americans bring bar or liquid hand soap
44% bring wet wipes or moist towelettes
41% bring hand sanitizer
31% bring cleaning/disinfecting wipes
21% bring a disinfecting spray such as Lysol
14% bring air sanitizer/freshener
14% bring laundry stain wipes
Here are some suggestions for travel friendly cleaning supplies you may want to bring along according to your vacation destination:
At the Beach-
- talcum/body powder to easily remove sand from skin
- Hand wipes to wash off greasy sunscreen
- Stain removal wipes to prevent stains from beach snacks
- Gentle laundry soap to wash out salt and sand from suits and beach cover-ups made of delicate fabrics and towels/blankets
Out For Sightseeing-
- Hand sanitizer for easy on-the-go hygiene in public places like monuments, museums, stores, public transportation and more that come in contact with thousands of hands every day
- Disinfectant wipes for hotel room surfaces that are commonly touched by hands including door knobs, telephones, etc.
- Disinfectant Spray/ Air Freshener to rid your room of funny smells and the germs causing them
On a Camping Trip-
- Bar or liquid hand soap to help keep those hands clean out in the woods
- Dish cloths to scrub dishes, utensils, and cooking gear
- Laundry detergent and stain spray for when you can stop by a laundry mat between road trip destinations
- A small mat to wipe feet off before entering the RV or even tent
- A clear bin or tote to use as a wash bin if tent camping
- All-purpose cleaner such as vinegar( it’s a green natural disinfectant that is safe for the whole family and many different surfaces)
- Garbage bags to keep your impact on the outdoors small or carry wet clothes and laundry to the laundry mat.
- Short handled broom and mop are good ideas for an RV
Staying at a Rental Property
*be sure to check with the rental property manager and ask if certain cleaning supplies will be provided and if the rental has a cleaning/maid service that they use and what you will be expected to clean.
- Dish washer detergent so you don’t get stuck hand washing everything. Pre-measured tablets or gels are very easy to pack.
- Paper products such as toilet paper and paper towels the rental may have some but not much especially for a long vacation
- Extra linens, bringing some bed sheets and towels can help you cut down on laundry during your long trip
- Garbage bags are good for more than just garbage. They can hold wet beach clothes, transport soiled clothes of little ones while out and about, and carry dirty laundry to the laundry mat if needed
- All purpose cleaner to clean up after everyday life. Vinegar is great for this it is a natural disinfectant and is safe for both people and surfaces.
The right cleaning supplies can help to make your vacation accommodations and experiences much more enjoyable. For more cleaning tips and advice please browse our affiliate at their professional carpet cleaning website. For more vacationing tips, stay tuned to our blog and check out all the best things to do in Panama City Beach Florida.